Saturday, February 17, 2007

The plan...

My goal will be to develop Space Ball, a competitive, multi-player game focused around the possession of the Game Orb. The player who holds the orb for the longest time within the game time limit wins. That's it... Nothing too fancy. Since I am no artist, I am not planning on incorporating any new art work. It's all about the game play for me!

In support of this goal, I have come up with a prioritized list of stories for my Feb. 28th deliverable:
  1. As a player, I can see the Game Orb when the game begins.
  2. As the Game Orb, I can bump into other objects.
  3. As a player, I can pick up the Game Orb.
  4. As a player, I gain points while holding the Game Orb.
  5. As a player, I can shoot the Game Orb out of the possession of another player.
  6. As a player, I can release the Game Orb.
  7. As the game orb, I appear in random locations at the beginning of the game.
  8. As a player, I gain health while carrying the Game Orb.
Most of the current features implemented in the base project will be maintained. However, I may drop the Orb of Death in the center of the field of play. I dislike being sucked into it's fiery clutches and I feel this will detract from game play.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Daniel De Aguiar said...

I moved this post over from my other blog (www.softwareincontext.com) since I posted it prior to starting this blog.

Daniel De Aguiar said...

Here are the comments from the moved post:

Ryan Cooper said...

I find it a little odd to have user stories from the perspective of the Game Orb. Is it really a user role? Can you query the Game Orb (or a game orb proxy) to verify that the user story has been completed to it's satisfaction? I generally don't like the idea of writing stories from the perspective of elements of the domain. It gets a little too close to the old-school style of system requirements: "The system shall..."

Also, have you given much thought to what your acceptance criteria will be for these stories? In particular, story 7 seems questionable. Without using statistical analysis, is there any way to verify that the game orb is appearing in sufficiently random locations?
***********************************

4:56 PM
Daniel De Aguiar, P.h.D said...

I added the stories about the Game Orb because I wanted to explicitly capture the features of collision and random spawning.

In terms of Game Orb collision, it is not limited to the player's ship. Interactions with other game objects, such as asteroids, need to be taken into account. I had also considered supporting different behavior depending on the object colliding with the Game Orb. For these reasons, I wanted to capture this feature as a story. It is a placeholder for a conversation I plan on having with myself when I get to it!

I do agree that story 7 is ambiguous. What does random mean in this case? What is random enough for solid game play? I think I will reword the story as follows: As a player, when the game starts I shall see the Game Orb in one of two places on the play field. This should be fairly easy to test. Also note that I have reworded the story in the context of a player. I do agree that it is more appropriate in this case.

Thanks for the feedback!
11:45 AM